Vocabulary.com is an interactive dictionary and English-learning website for anyone looking to improve their academic vocabulary, student and educator alike. The website was designed and built by a team of educators, lexicographers, data scientists and developers, who share the same love of words and challenges. It is not only the world's smartest dictionary, but also an adaptive learning game that will help you or anyone interested in expanding their English vocabulary become a master of words.
The creators of Vocabulary.com believe a good vocabulary can help you a lot, including improve your writing, help your reasoning, make you more confident, grant you more respect from your peers and improve your chances of getting a right job or getting into the school of your choice. It's not just about learning words, it's about improving literacy.
1. Create an account
- Go to https://www.vocabulary.com.
- Click the green Sign Up in the top right of the page.
- You have options to sign up using your accounts from other services: Facebook or Google by selecting Sign up with Facebook or Sign up with Google. Then, you will be taken to that site to authorize Vocabulary.com. Ignore the rest of the instructions.
- Choose one: Sign up as a Student or Sign up as an Educator. You can change the role later and the information for required for both account types is the same.
- Enter your birth date (Vocabulary.com is open to all ages but requires all users to provide their real date of birth to comply with U.S. law).
- Provide your email address and create a password for your account.
- Enter the word you see in the picture below.
- Click Create your account to finish.
You can start using Vocabulary.com right away, but to get the most out of the site's experience, remember verify your email address through the email sent to your inbox by Vocabulary.com
2. Sign in
- Go to https://www.vocabulary.com.
- Click Sign In in the top right, next to Sign Up.
- You can sign in using your Facebook or Google account by selecting Sign in with Facebook or Sign in with Google. You will be taken to that site to authorize Vocabulary.com. Ignore the rest of the instructions.
- Enter your email address and your account password.
- Click Sign in.
The Challenge is the heart of Vocabulary.com, it's an adaptive game to help you improve your English vocabulary. The Challenge can be accessed by selecting PLAY on Vocabulary.com. The questions start out easy, but as you keep playing, the website will start to learn more about your vocabulary knowledge and adapt uniquely to you. Over time, the site can figure out which words you know, and which ones you have trouble with and help you practice until you master all of them. You can also tell Vocabulary.com the words you want to focus on and they will be prioritize in your learning program.
The Challenge consists of rounds of questions. You play the Challenge by answering them, each round contains 10 questions that test your knowledge about 10 different words. Get a question right and you will be awarded with points. Get it wrong, you will be given a helpful explaination of the correct answer. On many questions, there are hints in the forms of 50/50 (2 wrong answers are eliminated), Word in the Wild (the word used in contexts) or Definition (definition of the word), but the only half the points are awarded for correct answer if you use a hint.
Vocabulary.com recommends playing the Challenge on a regular basis and paying attention to the explanation when you get a question wrong.
Vocabulary.com calls itself the smartest and fastest online dictionary. The site predicts the word you're looking for as you start typing. The explanation is written as easy to understand as possible, as if your favorite teacher were explaining it to you. The site uses sentences from current newspapers, magazines, and literature as examples of how words live in the wild to help you be more confident about using the word you learn. Vocabulary.com's dictionary can be accessed by selecting LOOK UP at the top of the page.
Vocabulary.com also allow users to create Vocabulary Lists that could be used to review and practice words. There are thousands of curated and user-generated lists that you can browse from the site's library to help you on your path to word mastery.
D. Educator edition
Vocabulary.com is a website for everyone interested in learning words. It also provides powerful tools for those who want to teach them: The Vocabulary.com Educator Edition Administrator and Teacher Dashboards. These features require paid subscription.
Along with the website, Vocabulary.com is also available as an app for Android and iOS devices.